Longterm future of piano business

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:54:28 -0800

> First, as a nation we no longer consider music or the visual arts to be a
> basic component in the education of our children. So-called "team sports"
> are important enough to pour huge sums of money into, but when was the
last
> time you heard of any school district considering the construction of a
> music and fine arts facility? How many elementary schools have even
> minimally adequate facilities for music education?

Thanks to some of the tight laws of this State, (Calif), the money for a
bond issue has to be spent only for the expressed purpose of the bond. The
school districts can't siphon the money into other things. Around here,
people is quite musical. Some people got together a bond and it passed. The
only one out of 4 school bonds that passed, and they just finished a brand
new performing arts center at the high school. 350 seat auditorium,
hopefully state of the art. I haven't seen it yet. The jocks tried like all
get out to get some of that money for their fields and had to create a
parking conflict that involved their baseball diamonds, and they succeeded
minorly. The high school is beautiful, with new sod on the field, a nice
parking area, and only about 5% of the bond money was used for the athletic
department.
At the high school across the river, the marching band averages between 300
and 400 students, or 1/4 the student body. The live music varies in amounts
but is rarely over $15. Of course you can get the "meet the performer"
preferred seats at Ironstone vineyards  amphitheater for $120 or the VIP
seats for $60. I could kick myself for missing Etta James last fall. The
show was half over when I realized who was playing. I live only two miles
from there.
I'm finding more people are willing to start spending money taking care of
some these old uprights. They would love to have a grand but don't have the
room.
Plus it needs to be good looking enough to be a focal point in the room. The
individuality of the pianos from 1900 to 1912 (pre war) seems to have the
best potential. IMHO.
Keith Roberts