Soundboard Torture

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:48:11 -0600

> > > and the string downbearing pressure prevent it from expanding (of
> course, it will expand a little bit, and that is why you might see a
> several millimeter increase in crown - ! but not 8 inches).
> >
> > And then the addition of string bearing would simply compound,
> exasperate... further damage the cells with even more compression.

And if you want to see compression set in action, Terry, clamp that
indicator of your MC gage down to a straight plank with various shims in
the middle to simulate loading it to about a 4mm crown and put it back in
the box with the new wood. At least try to clamp it down. It will be tough
to get it that flat. When you get the rest of the wood below 12%MC and
start cooking it in the box, take the clamps off the gage and dry it down
with the rest of the wood. You'll find your gage calibration is useless
then, because the wood of the panel has been crushed. The calibration may
very well have changed some after just being submitted to that high
humidity and bending that far, since the side constrained by the strips
will suffer some compression set. But it might not be a big deal either. I
can't say for sure. If you did clamp it to a shallow crown, the longer it
is under that clamping pressure in that high humidity, the more compression
set it will suffer, and the lower it will read for a given MC when it's
un-clamped. This is exactly what happens to a new compression crowned
soundboard when it's dried to 4%MC, flat ribbed, glued in a piano sitting
on a factory floor at 70°F and 80%RH with the windows open, and strung.
Only the clamping pressure on the panel in the piano isn't ever taken off.

>What I dont know is just what combination of humidity and downbearing will
>push wood cells beyond their compression limits in a traditional
>compression crowned board. I do know, that S&S claim that as long as the
>humidity levels are kept within recommended tolereances the soundboard
>will perform and hold up well.  How they define this exactly is another
>matter :)
>
>Agreed. And I wonder about the same thing.
>
>Terry Farrell

Try the thing with the gage and see what damage is done immediately and
permanently. There are no numbers that I know of that will reliably predict
results of compression crowning techniques. It's a matter of degree.
Different planks of spruce will shrink, expand, and compress under load to
differing degrees. Each plank in a every panel will have it's own specific
and unique stiffness and density, as anyone who has handled un-ribbed
soundboard panels immediately understands. The whole point of rib crowning
is that compression crowning doesn't yield controllable and predictable
results, neither immediately, nor long term. Decent climate control will
minimize the compression set damage rate, but it won't eliminate it.

Ron N