String Breakage/Wesley Harman

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 02:43:22 EST

Concerning reducing string breakage, someone says,
> (with
> >possibly let-off at 3/16" to 1/4")

I have often seen lengthening the letoff as a suggestion for over-exuberant
pianists who break strings. It seems to me that lowering the letoff would cut
the sensitivity on soft playing more than robbing power from loud. Not what
you want to do with an already insensitive player. Why not shorten the blow
instead? Actually, both of these pale next to a monitor in the ear
[preferably inserted forcefully]. Oops, okay, I apologize.

Bob Davis