An interesting spinet

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:08:21 EDT

List,

I know that subject line seems like a bit of an oxymoron, but it's true.  I
worked on a spinet the other day that was at least an attempt to make a good
piano.

It was a 1947 George Steck.  The first interesting thing I noticed when I
took off the music desk was that the lifter wires did not slide into slots on
the ends of the keys.  Instead, there were holes drilled through the key-ends
that the wires poked through.  Lost motion regulation was accomplished by
turning a round wood nut that was held in place by a cork nut like you find
on many player parts.  My first thought was "how do you get these out of here
without a major hassle and crumbling pieces??"

I opened the bottom to adjust the pedal mechanism, and I found my answer:
there is a rail with flanges screwed to it iunder the keybed that has lifters
to which the lifter wires are attached.  The whippens rest on a felt platform
at the opposite end of each lifter.  So one has to detach nothing to get the
action out, except the four bracket bolts.

Definitely a better mousetrap, but I'm sure in the end it proved far too
costly to fabricate.  Anybody else ever seen one of these?  I was also
surpised by the lack of false beats in the high treble(though, as usual, the
bass was torture).

Dave Stahl