friction (derivative thread from key leads)

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:57:28 -0400

David Stanwood wrote:
>During acceleration the parts are thrown against each other as they resist
>being moved so the normal force between rubbing surfaces is increased along
>with friction.  Adding say a 50 gram weight to the hammer creates a similar
>situation so that one could at least get a feeling for the increase of
>friction during playing..  I can't imagine a jack will return under the
>knuckle with a 50 gram weight on the hammer so I suggest tying down the
>jack to maintain similar friction with U & D Wt.

I thought that's probably what you were getting at with the
suggestions, but....this comes no closer to a measure of kinetic
friction than the same experiment without the weight. The fundamental
relationship between surfaces is not changed, viz there is no
relative motion. Consequently the experiment deals with static
friction, not kinetic friction. The latter can only be assessed after
breaking the static friction bonds and the surfaces are sliding
across each other. In general, there's no connection between static
and kinetic coefficients of friction, so a determination of the one
cannot give you the other, although the coefficient of kinetic
friction is generally lower than static. Of course, both static and
kinetic friction are proportional to the magnitude of the normal
force between the contact surfaces. But the funny thing about static
friction is that the force depends on the magnitude of the force
acting to separate the parts, i.e. along the surface of contact. You
push a box with increasing force and it sits there, static friction
balancing your push force, until you exceed the maximum force that
static friction can achieve [which is proportional to the static
coefficient and the the normal force of the box on the floor]....then
the box begins to slip and kinetic friction takes over, with a lower
coefficient, so the box accelerates away from you and shoots across
the floor, unless you lesson your pushing force to balance the
reduced force from kinetic friction and maintain a constant velocity.
Same thing happens with car tires. under pure rolling conditions
there is no relative motion between the tire and road surface, so
static friction is operating. You (partially) lock your brakes and
some slipping occurs, lower kinetic friction requires longer to stop.
Same in the piano action. Static friction operates while there is no
relative motion between the jack and the knuckle (as in a U/D
measurement, or the one with the extra weight on the hammer and the
jack tied up). Adding the weight simply increases the normal force
and overall static friction between the parts. As soon as the jack
meets the button and begins to move across the surface of the knuckle
- that is when reduced kinetic friction takes over. The only way to
determine it experimentally is during the time while the jack is
slipping out from under the knuckle, or while it slips back
underneath.

All that being said, I think the focus of attention in the kinetic
situation needs to be  on more than simply kinetic friction, which is
only one of the dissipative phenomena that occur in the piano action.
In practice, the combined effects of all those non-conservative
forces lead to the overall energy losses from input to output,
including hysteresis in bushings and felt contacts, internal friction
in stressed components, etc. Of course only some of these can be
influenced by the way an action is designed and/or regulated.

Interesting stuff I think.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett