An interesting spinet

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 5 May 2003 12:25:45 -0600

Yes, Just did a workover on one last month. As you say interesting and =
better than the usual mouse trap.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 9:08 PM
  Subject: An interesting spinet

  List,=20

  I know that subject line seems like a bit of an oxymoron, but it's =
true.  I worked on a spinet the other day that was at least an attempt =
to make a good piano.  =20

  It was a 1947 George Steck.  The first interesting thing I noticed =
when I took off the music desk was that the lifter wires did not slide =
into slots on the ends of the keys.  Instead, there were holes drilled =
through the key-ends that the wires poked through.  Lost motion =
regulation was accomplished by turning a round wood nut that was held in =
place by a cork nut like you find on many player parts.  My first =
thought was "how do you get these out of here without a major hassle and =
crumbling pieces??"  =20

  I opened the bottom to adjust the pedal mechanism, and I found my =
answer:  there is a rail with flanges screwed to it iunder the keybed =
that has lifters to which the lifter wires are attached.  The whippens =
rest on a felt platform at the opposite end of each lifter.  So one has =
to detach nothing to get the action out, except the four bracket bolts.  =
=20

  Definitely a better mousetrap, but I'm sure in the end it proved far =
too costly to fabricate.  Anybody else ever seen one of these?  I was =
also surpised by the lack of false beats in the high treble(though, as =
usual, the bass was torture).=20

  Dave Stahl=20