Key Leads and Inertia

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 1 May 2003 14:34:20 -0700 (GMT)

>Sorry for the digression.  I think I would really love working with some
>team to redesign the piano action.  There are so many things that could
be
>done with modern materials, acceleration optimization through jerk
>reduction, etc., etc.

I don't understand by what you mean by jerk reduction.

>   This begs the question of whether a redesigned piano
>would be adored or despised on the basis of its "different" feel.  I was
>really interested in Mr. Olmsted's comments about adapting to the piano
and
>about uniformity of action, but that's another post.
>
>Peace,
>Sarah

Hopefully adored by some and despised by others.  I think the piano world
would be a more interesting place if there were more choices.  Everyone
these days seems to be trying to build the same piano, including the
actions.  Basically an Erard-Herz action, with some minor variations here
and there.  Why do all pianos have to feel the same and respond in the
same
way?  It's educational to play on some older pianos or fortepianos to get
an idea of how different an action can feel.  You might like it or you
might not.

Phil F