Key Leads and Inertia

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 01 May 2003 20:47:26 -0400

Sarah Fox wrote:
> Hi John, Ric, et al.,
>

> The implications for a key action are rather obvious.  It's a nice
> innovation by S&S.  My question is this: How much is the balance rail
> rounded, and over what distance?  (I'd be interested to try to duplicate it
> in my Wissner.)
>
> Peace,
> Sarah

Sarah,

Thanks for your interesting post. I am saving it for future study.
There's likely to be relevant stuff here, especially about how some
compliance could help efficiency. The impedance matching across a
flexing beam (harmonic motion is a factor hear?) is intriguing but this
will take more time to sift down to a conscious layers.

Were you some sort of circus engineer before heading into piano (so
called) technology? It looks like the clowns have better R&D than us
piano people. But I always thought this and now I know for sure.

It's not really the rail that is radiused it's a 1/2 dowel covered in
felt replacing the usual ring-o-felt balance rail punching. The radius
is about 6mm.

What's a "Wissner"?

John

John Hartman Pianos