Key Leads and Inertia

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 1 May 2003 17:34:22 -0400

Hi John, Ric, et al.,

Action acceleration is actually a means of reducing jerk, which is the
derivative of acceleration.  Oddly enough, it's a way of smoothly shifting
relative impedance to achieve an efficient transfer of kinetic energy from
one side of the lever to the other.

Think of circus acrobats propelling each other off of springboards.  The
most efficient fulcrum is curved.  When the falling acrobat first lands on
the board, he has a large mechanical advantage over the movement of the
acrobat on the other end of the board.  That softens his impact with the
board and likewise softens the initial acceleration of the other acrobat.
As the springboard rocks over the fulcrum, the mechanical advantage shifts
the other way.  Thus, the falling acrobat moves smoothly from a low rate of
deceleration to a higher rate of deceleration, and the rising acrobat moves
from a low rate of acceleration to a higher rate of acceleration.  Maximum
acceleration/deceleration occurs when the mechanical advantage is 1:1 (i.e.
when the board is level).  It is at this point that the "impedance" is
matched between the two sides.  As the board continues to rock, the falling
acrobat's rate of deceleration declines, as does the rising acrobat's rate
of acceleration.  If the entirety of the board rests on the fulcrum and is
massless, then the initial mechanical advantage is 0 and progresses to
infinity (or vice versa, depending on which acrobat one is talking about).

This dynamic is far preferable to the "bang" on both ends of the board that
would occur with a conventional fulcrum.  The smooth transition of kinetic
energy with a round fulcrum results in less lost energy and therefore more
altitude, not to mention reduced wear and tear on the acrobats' legs.  With
a "banging" springboard, the compliance of the system is limited to the
elasticity of the springboard and of the acrobats' legs, which are the
elements taking the brunt of the impact.  To the extent that any of these
elements are inelastic (or exhibit hysteresis in their response), energy
will be lost.

The implications for a key action are rather obvious.  It's a nice
innovation by S&S.  My question is this: How much is the balance rail
rounded, and over what distance?  (I'd be interested to try to duplicate it
in my Wissner.)

Peace,
Sarah