"PennySaver" ads

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 19:11:10 -0700

You must be talking about an actual ad in the YP's. I have a residential =
number and it is costing me $93 to have my number listed for a year. =
Quite reasonable I think. Essential too. Most people look there first. =
Plus a lot of the customers wonder if you are legitimate or a 'fly by =
night' sort of person. People have said they were wondering why I wasn't =
listed.
Keith Roberts
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: tune4u@earthlink.net=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 8:49 AM
  Subject: RE: "PennySaver" ads

  Happy news. I don't use a business line, just residential--one of the =
many advantages of ruralness. So I have to pay to be YP listed. I'm the =
only one in many phone books around here and one of three in the the =
Rolla, MO book. No one has a display ad.

  My comments on YP as a use for promotional dollars was based on the =
absurdly high price they want for those ads and the year-long lock-in =
(no flexibility, if the ad doesn't pull, you're stuck). I used to own an =
executive consulting firm in St. Louis. After getting soaked for several =
years, we retreated from YP ads. But we ran a good-pulling ad every week =
in the Sunday Post-Dispatch. THAT'S expensive, too, but we could adjust =
ad copy and location week by week and not advertise on holiday weekends, =
etc. Flexibility is not a YP benefit.

  Unless one is in city market with a bunch of competitors, I think =
promotional $ can be spent much more effectively than the YP. That was =
my point.

  I also believe, based on my experience, that the most valuable =
long-term, business building clientele, does not come from "shoppers," =
though I do take your point about people getting a referral, then =
forgetting the name. You DO have to be in the book and I think the bold =
listing is worthwhile, but not necessarily any more than that.

  Also, if you have multiple services & products, I think it pays to buy =
listings in more than one section, too. Exposure is a good thing.

  And lastly, I do have an ad in one book, for a specific reason, but it =
is a professionally designed ad I submitted to them. The ads that YP =
companies will slap together for you are usually sub-par at best.=20

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, MO

  (Hey Wim, "What's shakin' in Alabama?")