"PennySaver" ads

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 1 May 2003 10:49:51 -0500

Happy news. I don't use a business line, just residential--one of the many
advantages of ruralness. So I have to pay to be YP listed. I'm the only one
in many phone books around here and one of three in the the Rolla, MO book.
No one has a display ad.

My comments on YP as a use for promotional dollars was based on the absurdly
high price they want for those ads and the year-long lock-in (no
flexibility, if the ad doesn't pull, you're stuck). I used to own an
executive consulting firm in St. Louis. After getting soaked for several
years, we retreated from YP ads. But we ran a good-pulling ad every week in
the Sunday Post-Dispatch. THAT'S expensive, too, but we could adjust ad copy
and location week by week and not advertise on holiday weekends, etc.
Flexibility is not a YP benefit.

Unless one is in city market with a bunch of competitors, I think
promotional $ can be spent much more effectively than the YP. That was my
point.

I also believe, based on my experience, that the most valuable long-term,
business building clientele, does not come from "shoppers," though I do take
your point about people getting a referral, then forgetting the name. You DO
have to be in the book and I think the bold listing is worthwhile, but not
necessarily any more than that.

Also, if you have multiple services & products, I think it pays to buy
listings in more than one section, too. Exposure is a good thing.

And lastly, I do have an ad in one book, for a specific reason, but it is a
professionally designed ad I submitted to them. The ads that YP companies
will slap together for you are usually sub-par at best.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

(Hey Wim, "What's shakin' in Alabama?")