Key Leads and Inertia - radius

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 09:06:25 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Fox" <sarah@gendernet.org>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: Key Leads and Inertia - radius

> Hi Ron,
>
> If a radiused block were mounted to the underside of the key stick with
> spring-tensioned straps, and if the radiused block had holes that fit over
> positioning pins in the key frame...  Then I think it would be feasible.
> The key/block combo would lift off just like a conventional key.
>
> Peace,
> Sarah

Keeping in mind that you have to make room for the radiused block. It's some
taller than the simple punching arrangement. The most expedient
approach--and that used by Steinway--was simply to remove the bottom plate
that had previously been used. And this, of course, is what started the
whole controversysurrounding this "feature." True, it gave Marketing
something to crow about--whether over any real, demonstratable merit is
another issue--but it also resulted in a considerably more flexible key.
Especially in the bass section of the Model D. And the excessive flexibility
of these keys has seriously limited the action's performance capability ever
since.

Del