Key top plates and shoes

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 03 May 2003 21:00:12 -0400

BobDavis88@aol.com wrote:

> John and others,
>
> I looked at your picture of the added top plates, and have a question.
> Part of the stiffness comes from the taller beam and part from the
> species. Would it do any good to rout out part of the top of the key and
> replace it with a stiffer species, say maple, or would that be
> insignificant if the key height remained the same? Same goes for shoes.
>
> Bob Davis

Bob,

Maybe you should do an experiment or model the problem?

Crack open the old physics and engineering text books- the ones that
smell funny - and sharpen your #2 pencils. This is a test.

If you add 5mm of maple to the top of the key (25mm) it will be about
(%?) stiffer. If you cut the key down and glue on a 5mm pieces of maple
approximately how stiff will it be then? This shouldn't be too hard with
beam flexure formulas and MOE - Just consult your PTG engineering hand book.

A WAG (wild ass guess) supported, of course, by a solid theory will be
good enough.

My bet is on adding it to the top (or bottom). Any takers?

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979