New keyboard design (was Re: Key Leads and Inertia)

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Sat, 3 May 2003 20:42:48 -0700 (PDT)

Thinking about wooden piano parts such as keys and their inconsistencies as well as balance rails which together create a situation in which we have to compensate by shimming with punchings in order to create the same key height for each key...  Couldn't a composite material be made that was machined or molded within strict tolerances so as to eliminate the need for leveling keys with punchings?   What about the type of graphite composites that are used in tennis rackets?  If this material was not affected by humidity and was very resisitant to wear, then used for the balance rail and the keys would that eliminate our key leveling requirements?  Are any paper punchings required on electronic keyboards to level their keys?   However, the key must not feel cheap like an electronic keyboard.   Other parts are being successfully made from alternative materials.   We have to shim these instruments that may cost up to $80,000 or so with little pieces of paper?  How high tech can we get?  Bob Hull

Phillip Ford <fordpiano@earthlink.net> wrote:> At 05:51 PM 5/1/03 , you wrote:
>Frankly, I think that some extrudeed, lightweight
>aluminum key, basically a shell buttressed with
>reinforcement along stress lines to stiffen it, would
>be FAR better than the 16th Century technology we are
>dealing with! And it should be hinged on a lateral
>pin ( at the bottom, on a pivotable plate ) to
>eliminate all "wobble". And weights ( not poisonous
>leads, either! ) could be affixed to the inside with
>bolts and lock washers along an adjustable track for
>exact balance.
> Thump

These all sound like excellent ideas. While you're at it could you incorporate something into your design so that I can level the keys without putting paper punchings under the keys (talk about your 16th century technology)?

Phil F