Key Weight

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 5 May 2003 00:05:51 -0400

At 6:08 PM -0700 5/4/03, Blaine Hebert wrote:
>  I haven't been able to get in to assess the cause of the
>heaviness, but it does not
>feel like friction.

You probably know that friction is a steady drag both down and up. If
it feels like a spring, that's mass. I'd look for unshaped,
rectangular hammer moldings. It maybe of a vintage before the factory
learned to properly trim the sides and shape the tales of  the
hammers.

Mass (well, actually gravity as it is relative to this planet) feels
like a spring: the deeper you push it, the more it pushes back on you
during the way back up. What feels like a spring is the speed which
the hammer can develop on the way back. Lift the hammer upwards (with
the key) and gravity will have more time with which to work
acceleration on this return swing.

If you want to measure with weights, measure not just the downweight
but the upweight as well. The Stanwood
DownWeight/UpWeight/BalanceWeight/FrictionWeight Polar Rule will
quickly sort out for you whether this is a friction or a gravity
problem. (Or just post the numbers here if you can't get one soon
enough.) If it's neither of those, then you're into major surgery.

I bet there's a reason this little jewel is in the lease-to-rent
fleet. Let us know when you've had a look at it.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request