Key Leads and Inertia

Mon, 05 May 2003 16:39:21 +0200

Sarah Fox wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>
> >So let me see if I understand this correctly..... this is shows that for a
> given FW
> > specification, more leads placed closer to the balance rail pin yeild a
> lower
> > moment of inertia, and yield greater degrees of acceleration then less lead
> out
> > towards the end of the key. Yes ?
>
> Exactly

Good.

> > This being the case... then loweing key inertia, and hence increasing key
> > acceleration can be accomplished by concentrating more of whatever key
> > mass is used in the center.. yes again ?
>
> Yes again

Good again :)

> > If so... what happens to half the argumenation
> > against the accelerated action ?
>
> Personally, I'm not convinced that S&S's accelerated action really does
> anything.  The shift in fulcrum would be miniscule..

I think we should look away from that shift in the fulcrum bit. I think the
official explanation for the accelerated action is exactly the placement of the
key leads, which are centered closer about the balance rail pin.

> Peace,
> Sarah

Thanks for the reply Sarah. Looks to me like a good portion of the reasoning
against using leads in the key just got a good deal weaker.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.