Hammer weight?

Tue, 06 May 2003 21:12:10 +0200

BP wrote:

> I have a 6' Stienway grand to regulate that has too heavy hammers.  What
> gram weight should the key be set at so I know how much felt to shave
> off these hammers.  The action is very very heavy with these hammers.
> Bill

Standard Steinway DW is 50 - 48 grams static downweight. The keys should
lift at least 24 grams, and probably not more then 30 grams. How do you know
that the hammers are too heavy ?

As a first check measure both Down Weight and Up Weight on say 10 sample
hammers, 5 white adn 5 black. Then get back to us with these figures and
perhaps we can offer some good advice. The first peice of advice would have
to be... dont go shaving of a bunch of felt from the hammers until there is
more information about why there is a heavy touch.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne