Unusual rib structure?

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 17:35:13 -0400

Hi all,

OK, there's something about my piano (1933 Wissner 9') that seems odd =
(in my limited experience), and I've just got to ask.  My soundboard =
ribs have an unusual structure (I think), and I'm uncertain as to the =
purpose.  Most of the ribs are "tied" together with one of two small =
cross-braces.  Counting from the keyboard, high treble end of the =
soundboard, the first brace starts around the center, keyboard-end of =
the soundboard at rib 8 and continues leftward and towards the tail =
through rib 13.  Then from the other end of rib 13 (right side of the =
piano), another brace starts and extends towards rib 17 in the tail.  =
Ribs 1-7 and rib 18 have no cross-braces.  Here are some photos:

www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard1.jpg
www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard1.jpg
www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard1.jpg

The ribs on the cross-brace end are not smoothly tapered the way I think =
of most ribs being.  Rather, they are reduced in tiers, and the =
cross-braces run across the tiers.  The rib ends without cross-bracing =
are tapered in the conventional manner.

So...  Why was this done?  Was it a way of stiffening the soundboard?  =
Was it a way of bracing the crown, which is quite a lovely one.  The =
bass on this piano is incredibly rich, powerful, and mellow, and the =
sustain is unbelievable. =20

The age of the soundboard?  My guess is that it was the original one.  =
It is in uncommonly good condition for a 70 yr old soundboard (no =
significant cracks, high crown), but nothing about the remainder of the =
piano suggests the soundboard might have been replaced.  The screws =
holding on the cross-braces, by the way, are quite dark -- a bit too =
dark for 1971 vintage -- probably oxidized since 1933.  The action was =
apparently replaced in 1971.  I suspect the bass strings were replaced =
at that time as well.  But the remaining strings were probably left in =
place, as about half of them appear to be original.  I think the =
pinblock is original -- still holds a tune, no cracks, but with a few =
marginally loose pins.  The more recent string replacements, other than =
the bass, were done incompetently, probably not by the same person who =
did the action (which was well done).  Anyway, the overall condition of =
the piano suggests the 1971 job was not a complete rebuild, by a long =
shot.  I'm thinking that the soundboard cross-braces were probably of =
Otto Wissner's doing.

Has anyone else done this?  If so, why?

Oh, Terry... Do you remember bracing such as this on that church's 9' =
Wissner?  I think you said it's all original and of similar vintage.=20

Thanks, everyone.

Peace,
Sarah
 =20