Unusual rib structure?

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 7 May 2003 08:43:25 +1000

Hi Sarah,

Its an interesting piano you have.

>OK, there's something about my piano (1933 Wissner 9') that
>seems odd (in my limited experience), and I've just got to ask.  My
>soundboard ribs have an unusual structure (I think), and I'm
>uncertain as to the purpose.  Most of the ribs are "tied" together
>with one of two small cross-braces.

I can't see how the ties can do anything to either enhance the
structure of the board or its function tonally. They remind me of the
tie strap across the bass corner ribs of a model B Steinway, which
also are of doubtful benefit.

>  Counting from the keyboard, high treble end of the soundboard, the
>first brace starts around the center, keyboard-end of the soundboard
>at rib 8 and continues leftward and towards the tail through rib 13.
>Then from the other end of rib 13 (right side of the piano), another
>brace starts and extends towards rib 17 in the tail.  Ribs 1-7 and
>rib 18 have no cross-braces.

An 18 rib design, while the D has 17 in the latest offerings at least.

>   Here are some photos:
>
><http://www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard1.jpg>www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard1.jpg
><http://www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard1.jpg>www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard2.jpg
><http://www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard1.jpg>www.wonderfulhome.info/soundboard3.jpg

Looking at what appears to be the fifth rib from the bass Sarah (the
rib which in jpg 3 runs to the top LH corner of the image), the rib
appears to be quite deep in the centre. They look suspiciously like
they are rib crowned. Would you mind measuring the overall rib depths
at their centres? I'd be interested to know what they are.

>The ribs on the cross-brace end are not smoothly tapered the way I
>think of most ribs being.  Rather, they are reduced in tiers, and
>the cross-braces run across the tiers.  The rib ends without
>cross-bracing are tapered in the conventional manner.
>
>So...  Why was this done?  Was it a way of stiffening the soundboard?

I would speculate that the designer was interested in achieving a
graduation in the sudden reduction of the rib section modulus of a
conventionally feathered rib. The stepped feathering would probably
cause the panel deflection to be somewhat more progressive. Mind you,
this may not necessarily be desirable. For me at least, the 'jury is
still out' on this matter.

>.  The bass on this piano is incredibly rich, powerful, and mellow,
>and the sustain is unbelievable.

The tiered feathering should allow quite a substantial impedance
reduction in the panel behind the bass bridge. I would expect this
piano to have quite a dark tone in the bass.

I'll be interested to hear other observations of others re the feathering.

Ron O.

--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers