Unusual rib structure?

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 8 May 2003 01:18:11 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 2:24 PM
  Subject: Re: Unusual rib structure?

  Hi Terry,

  > I blew the name also (WS&G)! Wendel Nickel & Goss (I think!) is the
  correct name. I assumed when you said the action was replaced, you =
mean it
  was rebuilt in some fashion. Do you mean that you think the whole =
stack,
  action rail supports and keyframe (and keys) were replaced? I think =
with the
  WN&G action, you will usually see the name stamped somewhere on the =
action
  rails - maybe even hidden somewhere on the letoff rail.

  The logo is somewhat illegible.  I was told it was a "Nickels" action, =
and I
  could make out that word, so that's what I assumed it was.  Now that =
you've
  filled in a couple of blanks for me..

  Wessell Nickel(s?) & G(r?)oss
  Wessell Nickel(s?) & C(r?)oss

  (New York)

  As for the "replacement"...  The key frame, keys, action rail =
supports, and
  action rails all appear to be original.  The wippens, hammers, shanks, =
and
  flanges seem to be new in 1971 (the date the tech scribbled on the A0
  wippen).  The wood just looks too recent to be from 1933, and the =
overall
  condition of the action would otherwise look too good for a piano with =
this
  amount of wear on the ivories.  Of course I could be wrong.  The =
previous
  owner and I both assumed it was the original action, but when we =
pulled the
  action for shipment, we both scratched our heads for a while and =
concluded
  it looked too new for that.

  Peace,
  Sarah