Baldwin Accujust Hitch Pins-waste end ringing, cacophony.

Wed, 7 May 2003 00:10:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 06, 2003 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: Baldwin Accujust Hitch Pins-waste end ringing, cacophony.

> I tune an SF grand for a big church here. I suspect
> that the nasty, raspy, ringing, cacophonous, breathy
> death-rattles from the high treble are due to the
> undampened string  between the bridge rear and the
> Accujusts (TM).
>      I would like to weave some braid in there.
>      Questions:
>      1) Should I? (duh)

You can if you like. Though the problem is likely to be at the other end.

>      2)Why did anyone design a piano with ringing
> waste ends that bear no mathematical relation to the
> speaking length, beyond what was determined by a
> convenient place to drill a hitch pin hole in the
> plate?
>      Thump

There are a variety of reasons for this. Most of them have already been
discussed on this list. Try muting them out and see what happens. Both the
SF-10 and the SD-10 have more of a problem with the front termination
piece, however.

Del