Horowitz piano

Wed, 07 May 2003 20:49:24 +0200

I had the opportunity to listen to Franz Mohr give a seminar in Seattle
some years ago, and what he said then was simply that the hammers got
worn, and then more worn, and then worn through to the wood as the years
went by. Horowitz simply refused to let anyone change them or change the
voicing on them. Seemingly his hearing suffered somewhat as time went
by, and he liked the pling of those rock hard hammers.

I also got to see this instrument on that occasion, prior to Steinways
<< restoration >>. You could almost blow the keys into action they were
so light.

In any case the story about the maestro's insistance seems to have
gotten altered in the telling. He insisted alright, but his insistance
was against doing anything about the increasing brightness of the piano.
At least thats what was said in Seattle back in 92...

Back in 92.... now there's a line for you :)

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne