nickels and dimes do add up, but...

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 07 May 2003 15:40:13 -0400

Tom,
         This shows that you have scruples and care about your customers.=20
Bravo! You should not feel like you have to do free work but if you spend=20
an additional 5-10 minutes correcting problems I'd say throw it in. If you=
=20
have to go out to the vehicle for parts or other tools, charge for it. If=20
you have a lot of little things add up the time in your head and ask for=20
permission for the extra work. My 2 cents!

Greg Newell

At 03:31 PM 5/7/2003, you wrote:

>List
>
>I have been wondering how some of you handle the little incidental things
>that sometimes need to be done on a tuning call.  I find it difficult to
>charge someone for something that takes very little time, and I like to do
>something a little extra if I can.  I think it makes the customer feel like
>he is being taken care of and not being taken advantage of.  But then,=
 where
>do you draw the line?
>
>One place that I've drawn the line, is if the customer asks me to fix
>something that is bothering him.  I am more inclined to charge him to=
 correct
>a problem he is aware of and wants remedied.  Even then, if it takes less
>than 5 minutes, I can't seem to put it on the bill.
>
>And what about things that perhaps only you have noticed?  Here are some
>things that one comes across pretty regularly.  Would  anyone care to=
 comment
>on their policy regarding the following: (on a vertical piano)
>         Tighten a loose hammer butt flange to correct a floppy hammer?
>         Tighten 3 loose hammer butt flanges?  Five?
>         Adjust a leaking damper?  Three dampers?  Five?
>         Adjust the lost motion from a damper pedal?
>         Ease a key?  Three keys?
>         Adjust a backcheck to stop a double-striking hammer?  Three? =
 Five?