nickels and dimes do add up, but...

Wed, 7 May 2003 16:59:47 -0400

Tom -

I suspect I am in the minority here, but I have always structured my fees
based solely on how much time it takes me to do the work required, in
other words, the charges are based on my hourly rate, plus a trip charge.
 Small things I just take care of, and am compensated when I bill them
for the time required to do them.  For larger repairs I give them an
approximation of the charge, again based on how much time I think it will
take, and let them decide if they want it done.  In 25 years, I have
never once had a customer demand to know ahead of time EXACTLY what the
charge would be.  After all, they are there while you are doing the work,
and can easily verify that it 'took that long' to service their piano.

Works for me.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com