Unusual rib structure?

Wed, 7 May 2003 21:32:14 -0700

I noticed, the other day, on a Hamburg Steinway C, that the cutoff bar was
notched to allow for the feathered part of the rib to extend beyond it to
the rim.  Is this counterproductive?  Generally, with cutoff bars do the
ribs terminate at the cutoff bar?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Most
> >of the ribs are "tied" together with one of two small cross-braces.
>
> Hi Sarah,
> This is done where there should be a cutoff bar, but isn't, like the
> Steinway B shown here
As