Piano Volume

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 01:10:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/03 11:43:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
JackHouweling@dccnet.com writes:

> Hello
>
> Our church bought a Steinway B which is a very nice piano. Now people are
> complaining that it is to loud. We have a congregation of 300 people, a big
> pipe organ and people complain the piano is overpowering. The piano is on a
> tile stage and they keep the lid  closed while playing. Do you have any
> suggestions that I can tell them to help control the volume of the piano?
> (does having an open or closed lid make a difference in the  sound
> quality?)
>
> Thanks Jack

I presume that the piano is being played during congregational signing, and
not just when the choir is singing.

It might very well be that the piano is being played at the right volume, but
that the congregation has never heard a piano before. They might be used to
hearing the organ played softly, and maybe the other piano was soft too, so
they don't sing very loud.

Before doing anything drastic, ask the piano player to play a little softer,
but then over the next couple of months, increase the volume a little. The
congregation might have to learn to sign a little louder.

Wim