Cut off bars, was Re: Unusual rib structure?

Thu, 8 May 2003 01:39:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>; "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
Sent: May 07, 2003 10:02 PM
Subject: Cut off bars, was Re: Unusual rib structure?

> Then it is typical to leapfrog the cutoff bar over the ribs?  I thought
on
> the picture of Del's belly braces/cutoff bar that the cutoff bar was
flat.
> Is the feathering of the ribs always designed so that there is an equal
> feathered length on opposite ends?
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

No. It is not typical to leapfrog the 'cutoff' bar over the ribs. Thumper
is quite right--these things are not really cutoff bars. The act to stiffen
the assembly, but they do not really terminate the soundboard. A true
cutoff bar is a complete termination of the soundboard assembly. In the
photo I posted the bar forms the physical edge of the soundboard. Anything
to the left side of that bar is strictly filler.

Del