Over Dampers/Conrad Hoffsommer

Thu, 08 May 2003 10:03:53 -0500

Joe,

At 07:46 5/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>You asked: "Were there overdampers which worked well?" IMO you have totally
>lost the purpose of Over Dampers, in you rationale. Over Damper pianos were
>made side by side with modern style uprights. The manufacturers knew how to
>make an upright dampen to the standards we know today. They made the Over
>Damper pianos to simulate the SOUND of the "ancient instruments", (my
>terminology, which denotes the period of time when the technology and
>knowledge was not refined.), only louder. Most Over Damper pianos sound as
>they were intended. I truly wish that technicians would quit trying to
>compare them with modern instruments. It is incorrect to do so.
>Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

I appreciate the explanation.

However, like it or not, comparisons with modern instruments WILL be made
by the customer. If they demand crisp damping, overdampers will probably
not satisfy their wishes.

I DO appreciate the sound of a Zumpe square played with dampers raised, and
even the sound of a tangentenflügel, but it's a steep uphill climb trying
to overcome the taste for modern piano sounds which most customers have.

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

So much discord; so little time.