Design of cutoff bar

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 11:27:53 EDT

Many pianos with cutoff bars have an open space, or a different species of
[filler] wood outside the cutoff. Is there a way to gain the acoustical
advantage of a cutoff bar, but have it appear traditional on the top side?
For instance, could the ribs be notched and continued on to the rim, just to
support this area? I realize this is a waste of good spruce, but it would not
call attention to itself, and there are some situations in which that is a
good thing.

Is the cutoff bar affixed to the beams? In one picture it appears to pass
over the metal termination plate for the beams. Is this a problem?

It appears to be the approximate cross section of a bridge. Am I seeing this
right?

Thanks,
Bob Davis