Design of cutoff bar

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 08 May 2003 11:38:11 -0500

>Many pianos with cutoff bars have an open space, or a different species of
>[filler] wood outside the cutoff. Is there a way to gain the acoustical
>advantage of a cutoff bar, but have it appear traditional on the top side?

Sure, just fit the panel to the available space as if there was no cutoff
bar in place.

>For instance, could the ribs be notched and continued on to the rim, just
>to support this area? I realize this is a waste of good spruce, but it
>would not call attention to itself, and there are some situations in which
>that is a good thing.

Who says the ribs have to be continuous through the cutoff bar? And if they
were, how do you crown the rib on one side of the bar, and leave it flat on
the other?  You terminate the ribs in the cutoff just like you do in the
rim, and make separate short flat ribs for the bass corner. Simple is good
when you can get it.

>Is the cutoff bar affixed to the beams?

Yes. Glued & doweled.

>In one picture it appears to pass over the metal termination plate for the
>beams. Is this a problem?

Not so far.

>It appears to be the approximate cross section of a bridge. Am I seeing
>this right?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Davis

Heavier. I like them at least 60mm wide.

Ron N