Hammer weight?

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 11:42:42 EDT

List, I sent the following response to billpillmore, and later noticed that
the reply went only to him, not the list. I am copying it to the list, in
case anyone else wants to help out.

In a message dated 5/7/2003 4:47:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
billpillmore@earthlink.net writes:

> C2 up 28 grams down 64+3 quarters
> C3 up 16 grams down 64+3 quarters
> C4 up 24 grams down 64+1 quarter
> C5 up 22 grams down 64 grams
> C6 up 32 grams down 64+3 quarters

Bill, you've got a SERIOUS friction problem, among other things. You need to
locate this first, then go after the weight problem. No wonder no one wants
to play it. Maybe the shank centers are seized. What kind of shanks are they?
I'm guessing this is an older Steinway. Perhaps original dimension shanks
were used, with modern weight hammers. Perhaps the repetitions were not
replaced, and have verdigris in the support flange center. Were the keys
rebushed? Have you checked them for friction? Have you check the capstan/heel
junction for burrs, goo, or indentation? Were your measurements made with the
dampers up? What model is this piano, and what age or serial #?

Do NOT file the hammers yet, although it is probable that they will need it.
They may also have been prepared incorrectly (not tapered and coved
sufficiently). Are these Steinway factory hammers? Do the keys have the
original leading?

You might also consider consulting in person with a more experienced
technician on this one. Where are you located? It sounds from the nature of
your questions that you are not yet facile with action assessment; you can do
your reputation more harm than good working on a piano of this caliber
without sufficient experience. I mean no offense by this - we have all jumped
in over our heads on occasion; we learn many lessons that way, but they can
sometimes be painful ones.

Best regards,
Bob Davis