Hammer Weights?

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 08 May 2003 15:16:34 -0400

Dear Bill,

I've seen technicians weigh keys and/or sacrifice hammer weights to fix
heavy action when all along the problem was simply tight key bushings.  I
suspect that this is the cause of your problem as your touch weight numbers
indicate high friction and work was done to the key tops.  Quite often key
bushings are replaced with this kind of work... Do you know the friction
formula?  Friction Weight, the amount of weight to overcome friction in the
slowly moving key, is found as (DownWt - UpWt)/2.  In your case of note C5
for example, the friction weight is 21 grams.  It should be more like 13
grams...  Easing and lubrication with teflon powder or spray is in order.
Then play the piano and dedide if more radical work is in order.

You can measure and rate key bushing friction as follows:

Remove the stack and set it aside.  Place a weight on the back of  key
sufficient to hold the key down on the back rail.   A key leveling lead
works nicely or jiffy leads on the back side of the key.   (The amount of
weight is not important so long as the key sits down on the back rail.)
Measure Up and Down Weight of just the keystick and plug the numbers into
the formula for Friction Weight, (DownWt - UpWt)/2.

Keystick friction weight may be rated as follows:

Low = 1 - 3 grams,  Medium = 3 - 6 grams, high = above 6 grams.

Don't feel bad.  Tight key bushings are overlooked even by well experienced
techs and dealers.

David Stanwood

P.S. - 1 quarter = 5.7 grams so your down weight on C3 is 81 with an Up of
16 that's a  32.5 Friction!
I've posted a friction rating chart at:
http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/touchweight.htm