Piano volume

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Thu, 8 May 2003 23:27:36 +0100

Hi Guys

>>Do you have any
> suggestions that I can tell them to help control the volume of the piano?
> (does having an open or closed lid make a difference in the  sound
> quality?)>>

I thought that you might ask the pianist to open the top of the piano so
that it is louder to him/her and therefore encourage the pianist to play
more softly. I have had years of experience with playing in a band and I
know that it is very difficult sometimes to hear oneself playing because of
all the other "noise" going on around you. If the piano lid is open then
there is a shorter direct line between the instrument and the pianists ears.
Whenever I played an acoustic upright in a band I always removed the front
panels, not to make the piano louder to the audience but so that I could
hear it myself.

Regards
Alan Forsyth
Edinburgh