Bad Business practices/venting

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Thu, 8 May 2003 20:32:39 -0400 (EDT)

Another reason to support the guild.
There is a need to encourage more communication,
accountability, and education to all technicians.
Imagine this.....

Old Wurlitzer baby grand, seen better days.
Sold as full compleat rebuilt piano 2 years ago....
$10,000

Work "rebuilder" did.

Refinished outside, New keycaps, drive in pins, tune.

Condition

1) Key caps not filed flush...keys clack together,
2) De-laminated pinblock from driving in tuning pins
without pinblock support
4) piano is not playable....
       ie:1 full inch of letoff, yes 1 inch.
3) Extream hammers wear with exposed wooden moldings
in top two octaves.
4) No felt of any kind replaced anywhere at all.
5) Damper levers clack against stop rail---no felt.
6) Bass string windings buzz on cores extreamly
loudly.
7) Pedal lyre is falling apart.......so on and on.

 Somebody actually bothered to refinish this thing,
glue keycaps on and sell it "fully rebuilt" after
literally destroying the pinblock.

  This is not poor work, it is no work at all,
dress up the package and cheat somebody for every
penny you can possibly con them for. I have never
sent a letter to another technician on stuff like
this, but the poor lady was in tears.
I would not tune the piano for it must have a new
pinblock, pins just will not hold.

 I feel so bad for her. Wrote up big report and faxed
it to her. I really do hope she follows this guy up.
This is the worst I have ever seen.

                              Dave Renaud
                              RPT
                              Canada