Bad Business practices/venting

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 08:29:28 EDT

>t's the piano buyer that needs education.  If any of my customers suggest
>they might soon be looking for a piano replacement or if I suggest that
>it
>is time they replace their piano, I often offer to help them in their
>decision so they don't hop out of the frying pan and into the fire.  This
>doesn't happen that often, and I have never set up a price structure to
>get reimbursed for the time it takes, although I wish I could.  Anyone
>have a way that works?

Greetings,
   Good education is expensive, but not nearly so much as ignorance.  When
customers tell me they are looking for a piano, I suggest that they check out
potential instruments first.  I give them a basic idea of what to look for,
ie, reasonably level keys, consistant feel,(  tell them to play each key
individually), look at the hammers if possible, etc. I tell them to listen
and decide if they like the sound and look of the piano.
   I then tell them that if they decide the piano is one they like, THEN call
me and spend the $75 to have me examine it and give them an oral appraisal of
the pianos condition. If I need to write, mail, etc.  I add $25.
    To reasonable people, this is cheap insurance.  Those are the kinds of
customers I want.  To short-sighted cheapskates, paying me to "just look" at
a piano seems exorbitant, and thankfully, they go elsewhere to be some other
techs problem.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/