Wurzen felt

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 9 May 2003 20:27:37 +0200

I have written quite a lot about Wurzen felt on this list (and other
e-mail places)  but usually there is hardly any response, despite the
importance of this matter. Only a few techs have responded at all and I
suspect it has to do with the difference in voicing between America and
Europe and the use of hammer dopes in the USA.
In Europe it is not a common practice to use 'soft' hammers and then
dope them with a hardener.
European intoneurs want firm hammers or even loud hammers as it is in
their tradition to needle them down to what they think they should be.
I personally prefer a hammer with as little hammer dope as possible.
Why? because hammer dopes kill the natural elasticity in the fibers,
thereby definitely changing certain 'lively' aspects in a tone.
In the past all the hammers of the great European builders were covered
with a felt that was lively, with very elastic fibers, but yet firm and
with a very satisfying tone. On some older untouched Steinways,
Bechsteins, Schiedmayers, Blüthners and Bösendorfers we may still find
this marvelous Wurzen felt.
It is not too hard and not too soft and thus requires both some
needling and hardener in the extreme treble and bass.
If I understand it well, Americans just work the other way around : a
very soft hammer, to be hardened to the right level of crispness and
hardness with 'a' hammer hardener.
I honestly think that both the Americans and the Europeans seek the
same kind of tone but in a different way as they both have different
traditions and backgrounds.

Anyway, Abel hammers are louder because the felt is much more dense and
Abel does not share the preferences Renner customers have, whereas the
Wurzen hammers produced by Renner are more open structured and require
less needling. The sound between the hammers produced by these
factories is completely different.

I have my own rather strong opinion but I certainly wish to respect the
preference of people who have a different opinion.
There are many different wines so to speak, but I was just wondering
why so few techncians react to this issue as it actually one of the
very aspects of our trade.....

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl