Wurzen felt

Fri, 9 May 2003 14:26:11 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <antares@euronet.nl>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 09, 2003 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: Wurzen felt

> > And then there are those of us who prefer to start with a very soft
> > (or,
> > more properly, resilient) hammer and leave them that way.
> >
> > Del
> >

> That's very interesting to know Del. What do you like about soft
> hammers?
>
> Antares,
> The Netherlands

In very general terms it is the resilience of the hammer that enables the
piano to change its tonal character as the volume changes from pppp to
ffff. We are looking for a distinct and obvious tone quality change as well
as a loudness change. The harder the hammer the less change in voice.

We agree that the so-called hammer hardening solutions tend to make better
keytops and piano finishes. The acrylic should stay on the keys and the
lacquer should stay on the casework. Except in very limited use (generally
on the last three to six hammers in the treble) the stuff has no place in
piano hammers.

Del