Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 08:04:42 EDT

David writes:

> such things as the addition of cutoff bars, belly bracing, modifying the
>bass bridge cantilever to increase backscale length, detuning the front
>duplexes, rescaling, squaring the bridge notching in the low tenor and bass
sections, crowing the
>ribs,  ; All of these "redesigns", will improve the overall
>performance of the piano and I don't consider it in any way a desecration
>of the original, just an improvement.

Greetings,
       Hmm,  maybe I should wait until you define "desecration".   This list
of "things to do" is more than refining makers' oversights, it is
re-engineering the sounding structure.   How far can a Steinway get its sound
improved without sounding like something other than a Steinway?   I would
question, are we simply continuing on  the developmental trajectory that the
originators of Steinways had in mind, or are we attempting to invent our own
sound by using a Steinway as our bass,  (treble ahead?).

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/