TR: push/pull dynamometer/Calibrated beam keyweight measure

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 10 May 2003 17:22:49 -0700

The method that a friend of mine has developed to check DW/UW/BW is very
fast and lacks only the USB cable. It consists of a set of 11 weights,
sawed-off lengths of brass hex rod, each marked with their weights - 20g
to 30g. I store mine in a 3/4" x 6" long PVC pipe nipple with end caps.

You choose one weight for the desired upweight, say 25g, then place
another weight on top of it, say 27g. The idea is that the two weights
together is enough to depress the key and the removal of the top weight
allows the key to return - at the same speed. The weights should be such
that you're not wasting time pounding the table trying to make the key
move, but the keys might take about one second to travel down and one
second to come back up.

There's not much skill involved and you can very quickly spot where
there is a friction problem or a balance weight problem. If you need to
enter all the numbers into a computer, though, you'll have to do it
"digitally".

Tom Cole