David Stanwood's comments on lacquering hammers.

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 10 May 2003 22:29:20 +0200

Hi
cellulose is originally kind of heavy syrup or gum used to produce
dynamite, nitro glycerin and other indispensable materials.

The stuff when diluted in pure ether gives colodion.

If diluted with acetone (and possibly a few others as toluene) it
gives cellulose lacquer, particularly the kind used on brass and
metal, which is also called Zapon lacquer and was also used to have
water resistant paper (for military use at first, for protection of
old historic documents then) .

Colodion is not as strong as lacquer, and can be used and worked
almost immediately, Once a too soft mid treble or a treble hammer have
been treated with any of these, it gain some firmness and power, but
some of its coloration and warmness capacities are lost definitively,
I suspect that is because the whole move of the felt layers from top
to under the shoulders is necessary to produce it and it is then
restricted a lot.

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.