Tuning Walk Out because of tight tuning pins

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 00:19:31 -0500

Ha   Wait till you tune some more new pianos with tight pins.
Unless we object, the factories will keep producing pianos with
over tight pins.  No need  to mention names (well maybe after
hours and you are b uying) but the all time worst for me was a ver
y famous name at Chicago in a vendor's booth who was using it to
demonstrate  a product of interest to piano tuners.   The next
worse was a few pianos from a well k nown  manufacturer for an
event in Calif.  The worst after that were individual pianos over
the years with individual pins (too tight  so that they jump) from
rebuilders who didn't seem to care to make them right.
    I must admit I can't understand how these new pianos can have
such tight pins but do not jump.
Richard Moody

       "Facts don't cease to exist because they are ignored."
            Aldous Huxley (1894-1963); British novelist.

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 3:52 PM
Subject: Tuning Walk Out

> A first for me yesterday.

 and all but one were WAY over 200 inch-pounds torque. I would
guess most were between 250 and 300 inch-pounds. My torque wrench
looked like it was ready to become a pretzel without even moving
most of them. As I had injured (pulled something in my neck)
myself a month ago on a new Boston studio followed by a nasty
1098, I was not ready to miss another couple weeks of work to
finish this one tuning. I told the lady that I would not tune her
piano and why. She was quite understanding.