Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Sun, 11 May 2003 01:02:27 -0700

This seems so given over to hyperbole it's hard to know where to begin.
"Abrogated the very nature of the instrument..  ...completely transcending
the fundamental nature and design of the instrument, negating its very
essence"???  Please.   Who is making absolutist claims?  The suggested
changes are hardly earth shaking and for the most part exist or have
existed in whole or in part on various models of the same manufacturer, in
this case.  Nobody's talking about changing the goal, just finding a better
way to insure that the goal is achieved.  I think these are legitimate
areas of inquiry, many of which have a great deal of research behind them
and are not simply empty claims of superiority.  Who are you quoting when
you say "These methods produce a superior performance" and, "Because we use
these methods the performance is superior."  I don't recall reading that.

Those who do make these types of changes do so with full knowledge of the
owners, as far as I know.  Recall that the piano is in the shop for such
extensive work in the first place because it is not performing up to the
level that the owner wants it to.  If it were, it wouldn't be there.  If
the piano is owned by the rebuilder, then they are certainly within their
right to make whatever changes they think are necessary.  I'm working on a
Steinway M at the moment.  I'm considering changing the bridge layout by
adding a transition bridge in the low tenor to smooth out the change from
between tenor and bass and address the awkward scaling as it currently
exists.  Will it be a Steinway M anymore.  Well not exactly, more like a
small Steinway A, I hope.  Have I abrogated the very nature of the
instrument, transcended its fundamental nature and negated its very
essence?  If I stiffen the belly rail and add a cutoff bar like you see in
other Steinway models will have done further damage to its poor soul.  I
don't think so.

It  is clear that the bar has been raised very high by the instrument
makers of the past and that there are many, as you stated that Phil Ford
stated, instruments performing well.  There are also many that are not.
You can put two pianos of certain manufacturers next to each other that
have come off the line back to back and one can be quite good, while the
other is not.  A design is only as good as it can be executed with some
consistency.  If the design leads to frequent poor execution and
performance then you either have to look at the manufacturing process, the
design or both.  If a small change in the design can lead to more
consistency in the product without changing the nature of the tone (in this
case) when the execution was successful, then why would you hesitate to
make the change?  Posterity?

I don't think anybody called the designs deficient.  It's a bit of an
overstatement.  As with all things, there is always room for improvement.
Steinway has a history of implementing changes, letting go of poor designs
(ringing bridges, teflon bushings) and these changes are often driven by
the input of technicians who work with the pianos day in and day out.
Should we always wait until the manufacturer comes round to feel
comfortable implementing changes that we as technicians become aware of as
available improvements.  I think most rebuilders operate under the
philosophy of the Hippocratic oath:  Do no harm.  Changes in design are not
taken lightly, in my observation, and are not implemented on blind belief
as you would suggest.  There's no reason to believe that any piano has
reached the apex of design and execution.  The boutique manufacturers are
certainly pushing the envelope with a high percentage or resources being
spent in these areas.  And I'm glad that they are there if only for that
reason.  Success breeds complacency, remember Xerox?  It's the arrogance of
believing that there can be no improvement that often leads to demise.

There may be a line that can be crossed where in the remanufacturing of a
piano so many changes are made that it genuinely is not that piano any
more.  But I'm not an absolutist.  I think it's perfectly reasonable to
make some changes without fear of crossing that line.  To be perfectly
honest, I'm bothered more by the idea of putting hard German hammers on NY
Steinways than I am by changes in the belly work.

With similarly due respect to your comments on the trivial and tautological
nature of my statement to Ed, I was actually aiming for irony.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Again,