Wurzen felt

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 11 May 2003 20:37:04 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:

> Tell you what Del... and Ron N as well. How about if I send you two a few
> leftovers from recent sets I've installed. You could at least get a basic idea
> of their characteristics, even tho you wouldnt have a whole set to install on a
> piano. Compare these as best you can to what your present preferences / needs
> are, and let us all know what your conclusion is.

Tell You what, number your samples for their placement in the scale.
Weigh them and write this on the molding. Place them on a flat bed
scanner and create a full scale image. This would give me a good idea of
how dense the felt is. Just to be sure you could scan a ruler along with
the hammers.

Check out the drawings in the new Renner catalogue page 1-15. They are
to scale and yes they were shaped this way. The number one hammer of G3M
or G4M weigh about 11 grams. Hammers from earlier N.Y Steinways are
about the same size (often even a bit larger) but weigh only about 8.5
grams. This indicates a big difference in felt density.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979