Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Mon, 12 May 2003 09:48:49 +0200

Grin... Robin !!

Are you trying to accuse David of being narrowly opinionated and guilty more of
sophist endeavour then serious discussion with all this ?  My Gawd what a
dissertation !!

Ya gots to love it ... hehehe

I think in the end tho, David is really commenting on the ridiculousness of
resisting change for the sake of nothing better then tradition. And I'd agree if I
thought that was the only reason why people (specifically piano manufacturers) do.
But I think they have other (good)  reasons as well.

And I take issue with any claims that appear to be in the direction of some kind of
universal right and wrong relating to what are by definition nearly purely
subjective issues. Of course its always easy to construct absurd examples that
naturally result when when any given rational is taken to the farthest reaches of
its logical ends. But I dont think we can accuse any one particular person of doing
that much more then anyone else.... well... but lets not go there :)

RicB

Robin Hufford wrote:

> David,
>      Comments interspersed below.
>
> David Love wrote:
>
> > This seems so given over to hyperbole it's hard to know where to begin.
> > "Abrogated the very nature of the instrument..  ...completely transcending
> > the fundamental nature and design of the instrument, negating its very
> > essence"???
>
>      This is a nice feat of editorial legerdemain, addressing no point that I
> make, falsifying the context,  and creating an impression greatly contrary to
> that actual context in which these phrases played their parts - those necessary
> for them to make the several points which you take no notice of.   One little
> caution: why demonstrate such infidelity to the facts in public, where others
> can see?  This works much better if there is no immediate record of that which
> you are trying to obfuscate..................

giant snip..... :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.