Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways:

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 12 May 2003 07:20:44 -0400

At 1:30 AM -0700 5/12/03, Robin Hufford wrote:
>  .............Indeed, in my opinion,  this is a view worthy of real criticism
>and, almost indignation,  as there are numerous self-serving implications
>residing in this, the emotional utility of which I do not wish to go into but
>which are readily obvious on a little reflection.   I, for one, do not find
>myself assigning character to situations difficult of solution in a supposed
>attempt to relive myself of, again, some supposed responsibilty to correct
>them.  Nor do I find this characteristic of other technicians, although it may
>well be characteristic of those who propose this for others.

Robin,

With all due respect, you've stated this position before. We on the
list know how you feel on the subject. I for one think it's time you
accept the fact that among the topics for discussion here, are
modifications of the original design of pianos, most frequently
Steinways. That frequency should not imply that Steinway is the only
maker whose original designs deserve reviewing, it's simply a
function of the preponderance of Steinways among all those pianos
being rebuilt.

Accepting that fact also means realizing that your lengthy positions
on this matter aren't going to change what people do in the privacy
of their own rebuilding shops, nor their readiness discuss on this
list modifications, proposed or executed, to Steinway pianos. I learn
more from the evolving discussions of ways in which *a piano* could
be improved by judicious modification, than I do from yet another
repetition of your positions.

With all due respect to a fellow list member, who writes very well.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles
to that perfection during the building."
     ...........LaRoy Edwards, Yamaha International Corp