hammer mass (was Wurzen felt)

Mon, 12 May 2003 10:32:06 -0700

Yes, it seems that it is not a pure test.  It was interesting, however, to
observe the difference.   It brings something else to mind, which is what
happens when, say, a new action with 7/16" shanks is combined with a hammer
weight from the original design which utilized 3/16" shanks and of a
different species of wood.  My own experience does suggest that a light
hammer on a 3/16" maple shank does not sound the same as that same hammer
on a hex 7/16" shank made of hornbeam.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net