Weighing off an action

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:33:08 -0400

Greetings listees,
         I'd like to ask if the method that everyone uses to weigh off an=20
action is done with the stack in place or not.
         I've just finished an action from a "D" that I first encountered=20
with jiffy leads screwed on underneath the keys. This was, I presume, to=20
alleviate a touch that was too heavy. This was, of course, unsuccessful and=
=20
the individual leads were placed in such a way that about half of them=20
clicked or knocked on the key frame. After some mental debate I decided to=
=20
replace all action parts in favor of the Renner Turbo Wippen and=20
appropriate shanks with "blues" etc. While going through the procedure=20
during a marathon action day yesterday it was necessary to remove and/or=20
change some leads in the keys. After a thorough mental debate I decided to=
=20
place an appropriate gram weight in the small hollow on the key just before=
=20
the back checks of the weight I desired and then remove, add, change,=20
whatever was necessary to allow a slow drop of the key at the backcheck=20
end. I changed weight about every 6 keys or so starting from about 38 grams=
=20
or so in the bass and lightening the load by roughly 2 grams each change.
         This seems like it's contrary to what most folks do when weighing=
=20
off an action as I suppose that the method is to gauge the rate of fall at=
=20
the front of the key and not the back. Since I had the stack off initially=
=20
I found it a great deal easier and faster to leave it off. The end result,=
=20
I must say, is quite good indeed. The graduation from top to bottom is so=20
smooth! By the time it came to regulate the wippen support spring the=20
procedure was effortless. After a rough regulation and adjustment of the=20
wippen springs the feel is still a very smooth and gradual progression.
         I suppose that one of the reasons this worked so well is the=20
consistency of the Renner parts. Has anyone else ever done it this way? Are=
=20
there any potential pitfalls anyone can see with this method? I attempted=20
to concentrate any of the leads I added close to the balance rail when=20
possible. I can't believe that the touch was ever very good as what I=20
encountered was very inconsistent. I will do final installations /=20
tweakings at the piano tomorrow. If there's any change in the perceived=20
quality of feel I'll let you know but for now at least, I'm quite happy=20
with the results.
         Looking forward to your comments!

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9