Hammer Boring Angle

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Tue, 13 May 2003 14:39:50 -0400

List,
I've been thinking about upright hammer bore distances, and how there
doesn't seem to be a set formula the same way that there is for
grands (string height - hammer flange center pin height).
Admittedly, I haven't spent any time with The Wippen and Key, so I
don't know everything that's already been published.

However, based on the information below from Roger Jolly and some
help from my dad, it sounds as if one could determine bore distance
based on the existing rake, hammer center line to centerpin distance
('hammer hanging distance'?), and string to shank center line
distance (string to center pin distance added to the offset of
centerpin and shank).  With this information, one can use simple
trigonometry to determine bore distance.  The formula I have is:
string to shank CL + hammer hanging distance * cos(rake angle).  For
a treble hammer in one of the Hamilton uprights here, the formula
would be
   2.25" + 5.0625" * cos (88º)
= 2.25 + 5.0625 * .0349
= 2.25 + .1767
= 2.42

This ends up being pretty close to the 2.5" that the hammers were
bored at; I suppose that I can forgive the .080" difference between
theory and reality.

Any feedback on this?

Respectfully,
Jon