Wurzen felt

Tue, 13 May 2003 21:23:51 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> This is the weight of the sheet of felt from which the felt strips making
> many hammer sets are cut. How many sets of hammer might be made from this
> sheet is a variable. How much scrap felt is left over from this sheet is a
> variable.

Thanks Del for all that info about hammers. Couple questions tho. If a given
manufacturer is making say three sets of hammers, each with their own pound
rating... can we then not assume that that particular manufacturers' 18
pounders are heavier then their 14 pounders ?

I still wonder about this particular quote

     "This extraordinary thick felt was used for concert grand piano
     hammers, and although splendid results were achieved, the heavy
     hammer affected the touch too  much."

That seems pretty direct and would indicate the basic idea of heavy weight for
tone vs light weight for touch has been around for a while. I suppose tho in
the end this may be like trying to find out whether or not Bach REAAAALLY used
ET or not.. :)

Cheers

RicB

--