Wurzen felt

Tue, 13 May 2003 13:37:23 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: May 13, 2003 12:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Wurzen felt

   =20

  Thanks Del for all that info about hammers. Couple questions tho. If a =
given manufacturer is making say three sets of hammers, each with their =
own pound rating... can we then not assume that that particular =
manufacturers' 18 pounders are heavier then their 14 pounders ?=20
Probably, though not necessarily. For example, how much sanding has been =
done after pressing? In the case of Steinway hammers they are pressed to =
one shape and sanded to another. How much felt is sanded off? Who knows? =
I've seen hammers on a Model D that were smaller than those on a Model =
S.=20

  I still wonder about this particular quote=20

    "This extraordinary thick felt was used for concert grand piano =
hammers, and although splendid results were achieved, the heavy hammer =
affected the touch too  much."

  That seems pretty direct and would indicate the basic idea of heavy =
weight for tone vs light weight for touch has been around for a while. I =
suppose tho in the end this may be like trying to find out whether or =
not Bach REAAAALLY used ET or not.. :)=20

Everything is relative. How thick is "thick?" How heavy is "heavy?" How =
splendid are "splendid results?" About the only part of that statement I =
am sure is true is that heavy hammers do affect touch, adversely so, for =
the most part.

Del